75100385

A spat with my UKIP chairman about the manipulation of our

Customer Question

A spat with my UKIP chairman about the manipulation of our AGM has now reached a stage where I have issued proceedings in the small claims court for £200 in an effort to force him to rectify the matter.I was hoping that we would go before the District Judge and we would get an opinion. Instead he has employed solicitors who are trying to strike the case out and are stating they will bring council with them from London to the hearing and I will be liable for costs circa £5,000 ! I cannot afford this . I was under the impression that as the claim is so small that both sides would be liable for their own costs. Can you advise please that this is the case or not. Many thanks.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Has it been allocated to track as a small claim yet please?
JACUSTOMER-dfz1mxsm- :

Hi Alex

JACUSTOMER-dfz1mxsm- :

yes it has been allocated as a small claim

Alex Watts : Ususa
Alex Watts : Usually if you lose a case then there are no costs to pay.
Alex Watts : It is not usual to instruct counsel to attand a small claims as this is commonly done.
Alex Watts : Cost can only be recovered the one party has behaved unreasonably
Alex Watts : The bar for this is quite high and it is normally if a claim has been over valued, documents disclosed late or fails to exchange evdience.
Alex Watts : But a normal claim, a party would not be entitled to ask for costs - this just sounds like a threat.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today pkease?
JACUSTOMER-dfz1mxsm- :

Many thanks. The hearing has been allocated to the 17th of this month. By what date must the bundle be delivered to the court so the Judge can read it ?

Alex Watts :

Normally 3 days.

Alex Watts :

Does this help?