75100385

I parked on a morrisons car park and spent over £100 in the

I parked on a morrisons car park and spent over £100 in the shop but unfortunately I was delayed (By Morrisons being slow to serve me in their restaurant) and ended up overstaying the car park by 15 mins. I have received a car park invoice for £90 fromCPplus. Do I have to pay it? Ted.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : The short answer is no. A recent change in the law made car registered owners responsible for any fines etc.
Alex Watts : Howwver in
Alex Watts : However if you refused to pay and the matter went to court the parking company would need to show several things
Alex Watts : - you were the driver
Alex Watts : - you had a contract with the parking company
Alex Watts : - you agreed to their terms and conditions, which means their signs were posted properly and possibly on every bay
Alex Watts : - they suffered a loss as a result of your 15 min overstay.
Alex Watts : My view is that would struggle to prove some of these elements and this would mean that any claim would fail.
Alex Watts : The tickets as such are not enforceable by law but only by contract.
Alex Watts : This means they have to show you agreed to their terms and they suffered a loss
Alex Watts : I simply can not see how they can show or even justify a £90 loss
Alex Watts : They would need to quantify their £90 loss to a judge in a small claim and I do not think they can, maybe £3 at most
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

All understood, Thanks very much, so basically I could ignore the invoice and cprobably not go to court?

Customer:

Thanks very much. Ted.