75100385

i thought i had purchased a van from a classified seller on

i thought i had purchased a van from a classified seller on ebay. i paid £3000 into what i thought was a secure site. that said there were guarantees etc. ebay has been informed but they have still got the advert in place and it is still open for business. is there anything i can do about this. i have informed the fraud service in london about this, but i don't know if they will do anything and i would like to get my money back but do understand it may not be possible. i just feel that ebay are leaving their customers vulnerable to this fraud.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What service did you use to pay please?

Alex Watts :

What went wrong?

Customer:

visa credit card

Alex Watts :

When did you pay this please?

Alex Watts :

What has happened, have you not had the vehicle or is there something wrong with it?

Customer:

Sorry i only saw the first question and i thought it related to your payment..

Alex Watts :

No sorry!

Customer:

bank transfer from our bank to an alledged secure ebay holding bank site. yesterday 3rd dec in the mornng. i have not had the vehicle. ebay is still showing the advert and someone i know has enquired about the vehicle and asked if it was still for sale. they received the exact same email as me.

Alex Watts :

How much was it and who was it payable to?

Customer:

£3000 and payable to Patrick Feuerstein, bank name Barclays account number 73729826 sort code 209179 swift bic Barcgb22. no Iban number.

Alex Watts :

Has your bank tried to recall this? Do you have the sellers name and address please?

Customer:

the bank says they cannot recall. Adam Sulieman The Harbour Thurso KW14 7UL .the email address [email protected]

Alex Watts :

First you need to go to your local Police and make a formal complaint. They can investigate and prosecute where necessary.

Alex Watts :

You then need to write to the seller and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

what happens if the address is a false address.

Alex Watts :

Then all you can do is go via the Police.

Alex Watts :

Only the Police can do anything and freeze the bank account.

Customer:

ok thank you very much.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/