Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

my wife is being pursued for a bill she cannot afford to pay

my wife is being pursued for a bill she cannot afford to pay she has been threatened with legal action . she has no savings or job she has no assets everything is in my name . Can they come after me to pay her debt?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

So that I can answer you fully, could you please confirm the nature of the debt?

Also, I take it that it is not a secured loan registered against your property?

AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The nature of the debt is a bill from a solicitor that was representing her against a no win no fee law firm. She won the case and awarded full costs but the no win no fee lawyer have wangled out of paying the costs to her lawyer so he is pursueing her for the uplift in fees that he was meant to get from the no win no fee lawyer.

It is not a secured loan against my property

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, the good news is that the Solicitor certainly can't come against you for this debt.

If your Wife is not working, she should make it clear to the Solicitor and if she can afford to make any sort of payment (say £2 to £5 per month) she should offer this. At the end of the day, she can only pay what she can afford and you can't get blood out of a stone.

Depending on the value of the debt, us Solicitors may eventually write off the debt as a bad debt as it is not economical for us to chase a client if there is no means of us getting a healthy return.

I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards
AL