Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Cumbria County Council has a policy of no dogs on school sites.

Cumbria County Council has a policy of no dogs on school sites. If my dog remains inside my car which is parked in the school car park and at no point sets foot on the site, is he legally on the school site as the interior of the vehicle belongs to me?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Is there a dog control order or exclusion order in place or is this just a general policy by way of school regulations please?

Customer:

I'm not sure, but would think it is the latter.

Joshua :

Thanks. As schools are council property, or private property in the case of private schools the council and the owners of the schools respectively are entitled to make reasonable regulations for conditions of entry onto school land. Accordingly they can post regulations about whether dogs are allowed onto the land or not within cars or not and would be entitled to refuse entry if they consider that a dog inside a car is a concern so as to make a regulation about it. If the regulations are silent on the matter my general feeling is that a dog in a car whilst dropping off or collection children should not pose an immediate concern but there is nothing stopping the school or council amending their regulations to include prohibiting dogs within cars on school grounds explicitly. However you commit no offence by entering onto school land with a dog inside the car whether or not it is against regulations and the schools remedy is to simply ask you to leave school grounds or refuse you entry in the future. The position however is different if the council have put in place a dog exclusion order however as follows:

Joshua :

If a DEO is in place for the school grounds then it is an offence to enter onto the land with a dog whether or not inside a car. If you enter onto the land with a dog in or out of a car in contravention of a DEO you commit an offence and can be liable to a fine. DEOs and Dog control orders are typically published by the council on its website so you can check if this is the case or not.