I ordered a bespoke front door in February, it took 6 months

I ordered a bespoke front door in February, it took 6 months to arrive and after continually asking for a fitting date the company continued to make excuses of manufacturing issues.

The door finally arrived and was fitted in July. When fitted I identified one pane of glass had hand prints inside the glass unit and the two door panels were not the same, both poor quality but one being worse than the other.

The supplier informed me that would replace them which took 4 months to obtain new, me still chasing them continually for service.

The new units arrived and were fitted and were good quality but the incorrect colour match.

In an effort to swap the glass from the old doors to the new doors I was asked to put up with solid blank doors which I did for a period of a month and a half.

When these were removed to fit the second doors I refused to accept them and made them fit the blanks again.

I have currently asked them to fit the original sub standard doors as they were a much better colour match than the first but are still substandard.

I have once again been stuck with the blank doors for the last two weeks.

I am at the end of my tether, once the first doors are fitted back I need some advise where to go from here. The company are telling me they will not be able to supply replacements of suitable quality and colour until the second half of next year. I don't want to continue to use this company any more.

Please advise

Mr Lee Beynon

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tell me what route I should take next, once the original doors have been fitted back, but are still sub standard

thank you.

Did you agree that time was of the essence?

Did they give you any indication of a timescale at the time that you agreed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have agreed that the doors will be fitted next week, but this has taken 10 months and I still have faulty doors, I am going to refuse to have anymore doors what about my money back because of faulty goods and compensation for all the trouble

I'm not sure really what your goal is at the moment?

You seem to accept that they have agreed with you to fit the doors next week. If so, retreating from that agreement now would expose you to the allegation that you are being unreasonable.

If you hadn't agreed to that then I do think you have a very good argument here. Whether you agreed that time is of the essence or not, you are still only under a duty to wait a reasonable time and 10 months is not a reasonable time.

Proceeding on the basis that next week fails, you can send them a letter giving them clear warning of your intentions. Write to them giving a specific period of time by which you expect the work to be complete. I would normally suggest 28 days. The downside is that is that it will span over Christmas so you could, possibly, ask them to do it within 14 but is safer to give them 28 days.

When they do not then you are entitled to treat the contract as repudiated effectively and claim your money back. Failing that, you could certainly argue that this amounts to a breach of contract on the basis that they are substandard and you have a claim for the cost of putting it right. I cannot imagine there will be any difficulty with that.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’