I am separated due to abusive partner. I have two children

Customer Question

I am separated due to abusive partner. I have two children from him. I have recently been medically retired due to a disability and finances are very difficult. I sent an e- mail to the school requesting my children come home for lunch as it's much cheaper than school meals. The teacher has copied in my ex partner which has now put us at risk if he explodes. I have tried to explain this to the teacher via e-mail but he is missing the point. I believe there is Data Protection that states he cannot share my private details etc and should have spoken to me first or at the very least sent an e-mail separate from the chain. I have expressed my upset and great concern and all the teacher has said is he is sorry I am upset! That he is obliged to notify both parents about welfare. However, this does not mean he can disclose my disability and financial circumstances, does it?   Thank you

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Were the school aware that he did not have your address?
What contact does he have with the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

Due to my being constantly careful of how I interact and communicate with their dad, I have managed mostly to keep from being further abused, at least physically.

I have always maintained the kids should have regular contact with their father and his involvement with schooling. I feel my relationship with him should not interfere with them having a completely different experience with him. It's my baggage not theirs, as long as he treats them well.

He does have my address and collects them from there. My Fiance has had to have a quiet word due to his hostile behaviour previously and so now he flits between being comical, hostile, bitter and indifferent.

My issues are;

My circumstances of disability and financial should have been taken into account prior to contacting him on a chain e-mail.

I will now have to cope with the excessive rage about being open with the school about my circumstances (the control of what I can and cannot say to people ever continuing)

His rage at being embarrassed at being a father who does not top up monies for his children's lunch.

His belittling me at being disabled and no longer in a position to remain independent, therefore open to attack and ridicule and further subject to his control.

My son actually does not like his father for the way he has been witness to his abuse when little and is openly waiting to defend his mother at the first opportunity, despite my wishes he not get involved.

The teacher is aware he does not like his dad.

Should his father become enraged at me or worse, the teacher has put my son and me in a vulnerable position because he disclosed private information with no thought for safety.

There are an number of ways he could have contacted his father about welfare without compromising our safety.

Apologies for the long winded answer.

I am still uncertain why the lunch situation has to do with your ex - has the school explained that at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The teacher claims it's to do with my sons welfare. However, he observes my son daily and he has high attendance,there has never been and is not any welfare issue other than a simple request he come the 3 minute journey home for lunch to save me over £100 per month.

My belief, welfare or not, he had no right in copying my ex in with highly sensitive and private disclosure about me and my circumstances. I am sure Data Protection is a point he has not considered, nor has he considered the potential explosive situation as a result. Not to mention my privacy.

Does your ex pay towards the school lunches at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please, this is not about my ex.

I just would like the answer to my question which is a matter of Data Protection.

The teacher included and forwarded mail to my ex, it disclosed private, sensitive information about my disability, employment status and financial issues now being experienced due to medical retirement.

It is going to cause issues of a volatile nature between me, my ex and the children if he kicks off.

The teacher, I believe has breached the Data Protection. He did not contact the children's father on a fresh e-mail. He failed to notify my he intended to do so. He has put me and the children at risk.

Please can you just advise if the teacher has breached it or not, irrespective of what my ex pays or does not pay.

Actually he does not pay extra for meals at school or mobile phones or laptops for their homework or the clothes they constantly need due to never ending growth spurts etc.

I'm sorry, no disrespect intended, but if this is not your specialty, please let me find someone that knows about Data Protection. I am exhausted with the back and forth and constant questions about my ex and money etc.

This is solely about the teacher and Data Protection. I should be protected by it