Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I roam about my local wood/paths with me dog. For 3 years.

Customer Question

I roam about my local wood/paths with my dog. For 3 years. During that time I have hardly seen another living soul. Part of the walk round the wood is public paths - part isn't which makes it difficult to circumvent the wood. One way is to walk through the meadow in the middle of the wood, although the signs say Private. Anyway, after 3 years the farmer indicated to me that he would turn a blind eye to my solitary walks and gave me a map. Because he was so nice about my ramblings I actually felt an obligation to try and stick to the public paths. Unfortunately I was not on the public path when a worker drove up to me on the wrong path. The following ensued - "Can't you read"; "Yes". "How would you like it if I bought my 10 dogs to your garden"; "This isn't a garden, it's a park"; "It's a private estate and you are trespassing"; "You've been up here before haven't you?"; "Yes"; (This was the last word I said) "You are arrogant and ignorant". I was dumbfounded, his tone was very nasty and I felt slightly vulnerable. He started to drive off and swung the vehicle round only to change his mind and swing it back (just missing the dog) to repeat "You are ignorant, arrogant and disgusting". I was upset. And went down to the right path and then hung around hoping to see the Farm Manager who was nice to me. When I got home I phoned the Estate Office and relayed this to the lady there. She got the farm manager to ring me. I discussed the incident and also my rambling. He said he would get back to me in 24 hours. He didn't. So 4 days later I rang again and this time he confirmed that the farm worker was 'having a bad day'. He then said 'someone answering my description had disrupted a shoot and got in the way of a tractor' (I did not). Now I am annoyed. He said the farm worker would apologise to me (which is what I asked for) but he couldn't now allow me to roam as he would have to allow others. I couldn't argue with this reasoning and he asked me if I would keep to the paths - I answered it would probably be unwise not too. I have kept to the paths and have not received the apology.  So I actually have two difficulties - the right to roam which is a difficult area and verbal abuse.  In my mind they are connected but perhaps not?

Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 3 years ago.

chatham-chamber :

Hi, I am a little confused as to what your question is. Would you be kind enough to clarify?

JACUSTOMER-px0avd0g- :

I am wondering if they can prosecute me or ban me from walking on the estate if I am on the public paths. Am I entitled to an apology from a famr worker?

chatham-chamber :

Hi, from what I understand, Ramblers have the right to roam on public paths and mapped areas. If the area of which you speak of is a public right of way, you would then have the right to roam provided that you keep to the paths and mapped areas.

chatham-chamber :

If you walk outside of the paths and/or mapped areas, this could constitute trespass if it is private land.

chatham-chamber :

I hope this helps. If so, kindly rate my answer.

chatham-chamber :

If I can assist any further, please do not hesitate to ask.

chatham-chamber :

Many thanks,

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.