12826847

I have rented a room for 1 year within a shared house with

Customer Question

I have rented a room for 1 year within a shared house with my own bedroom with lock. The landlady did not live in the property or have a room for her use. I signed a License Agreement for Lodger and she took £300.00 deposit. 16 Sep 13 she wrote to me only saying that due to personal financial circumstances he wanted to return to the house and the room I rented. She gave me 28days notice (which I have found out should have been at least 2 months if not 3) and assured me that within 4 weeks of you leaving the property she would return my deposit. I was under stress to get another accomodation, but met her requirements and me and my parents cleaned the property not only my bedroom from top to bottom and left it in good order. Photos to prove. She on 07Nov sent a solicitor letter saying that I had occupied the property with my boyfriend without her knowledge and then went to make a ridiculus statement that because of my boyfriend staying ' a number of debt collectors called demanding payment of debts due from him. They caused damage at the property whilst in search of your boyfriend which resulted in our client haveing to purchase a new frame and door and so she would keep the £300.00 deposit. My boyfriend did stay on occasions with her knowledge and I paid an extra £80 one month when he was there before he moved to London. He visited from London and I offered several times to discuss a mutual rent and she never answered. Her allegations of debt collectors are completely libel. We have refuted her allegations and asked her to contact the third party for 'alleged damage' or the police as it was criminal damage and not my boyfriends fault. (completely wrong allegation) I have been to CAB but they recommended taking us with Deposit Protection agency. I believe she should have given me a proper Tenancy Agreement and therefore protected my £300.00 deposit and I would have been able to contact them. However, she has not done this. I feel I will write to her again asking for my £300 in spite of her not giving me enough notice or tenancy agreement, or I will have to take her to the small claims court. Carla XXXXX

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot afford to pay more than £11 and so I have had to withdraw my question. I hope therefore I get a refund as I cancelled within 1 hour of asking my question.

I only wanted to know if I have a case for small claims but I will try and seek advice from CAB