How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have rented a room for 1 year within a shared house with

Customer Question

I have rented a room for 1 year within a shared house with my own bedroom with lock. The landlady did not live in the property or have a room for her use. I signed a License Agreement for Lodger and she took £300.00 deposit. 16 Sep 13 she wrote to me only saying that due to personal financial circumstances he wanted to return to the house and the room I rented. She gave me 28days notice (which I have found out should have been at least 2 months if not 3) and assured me that within 4 weeks of you leaving the property she would return my deposit. I was under stress to get another accomodation, but met her requirements and me and my parents cleaned the property not only my bedroom from top to bottom and left it in good order. Photos to prove. She on 07Nov sent a solicitor letter saying that I had occupied the property with my boyfriend without her knowledge and then went to make a ridiculus statement that because of my boyfriend staying ' a number of debt collectors called demanding payment of debts due from him. They caused damage at the property whilst in search of your boyfriend which resulted in our client haveing to purchase a new frame and door and so she would keep the £300.00 deposit. My boyfriend did stay on occasions with her knowledge and I paid an extra £80 one month when he was there before he moved to London. He visited from London and I offered several times to discuss a mutual rent and she never answered. Her allegations of debt collectors are completely libel. We have refuted her allegations and asked her to contact the third party for 'alleged damage' or the police as it was criminal damage and not my boyfriends fault. (completely wrong allegation) I have been to CAB but they recommended taking us with Deposit Protection agency. I believe she should have given me a proper Tenancy Agreement and therefore protected my £300.00 deposit and I would have been able to contact them. However, she has not done this. I feel I will write to her again asking for my £300 in spite of her not giving me enough notice or tenancy agreement, or I will have to take her to the small claims court. Carla XXXXX

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot afford to pay more than £11 and so I have had to withdraw my question. I hope therefore I get a refund as I cancelled within 1 hour of asking my question.

I only wanted to know if I have a case for small claims but I will try and seek advice from CAB

Thank you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice