75100385

I live in a ground floor flat. The car park has just been

Customer Question

I live in a ground floor flat. The car park has just been revamped by Walthams construction. I am disabled & in a wheelchair.

As the workmen have put in a step instead of a slope I cannot access my property. Each flat had to contribute £4500.00 for the works & whilst the management are stating there are issues with the firm & they are trying to get a resolution it does not help me at all. I need urgent advice please.

Yvonne Archer

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply
Alex Watts : Were you consulted about the change please?
JACUSTOMER-brhq5l8w- :

No.

JACUSTOMER-brhq5l8w- :

I am confused - the live chat corner says you posted some info for me - does this mean you are researching the answer & will reply to me later as I am worried because your system did not want to accept my email address initially - in other words please update me & advise if I can do other things on my computer.

Alex Watts :

Have you complained to the Council at all please?

JACUSTOMER-brhq5l8w- :

No

Alex Watts :

Complain to the Council as they appear to be in breach of the Equality Act 2010.

Alex Watts :

This states that they must take account of your disability and make reasonable adjustments.

Alex Watts :

You should also complain to the Equality Commission. They deal with discrimination where it has taken place and can prosecute for you.

Alex Watts :

Their website is: http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/

Alex Watts :

But try the Council first and then Equalities Commissiob

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-brhq5l8w- :

Surely this is an issue with the tradesmen who undertook the work & have not considered disabled access.

Alex Watts : No. It would be with the freeholder.
Alex Watts : Does that help?