tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.

Will a judge enter into correspondence directly with litigants

Customer Question

Will a judge enter into correspondence directly with litigants in a civil dispute or is all communication undertaken through court staff?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Sadly not. The judge will not correspond with litigants at all.
Alex Watts : All communication must be through the court staff.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer :

Would a solicitor or barrister know this?

Alex Watts : Actually I see I have answered a question for you once before and you did not rate that answer.
Customer :

Customer service has locked it for some reason but it is not connected to this matter

Alex Watts : Please see this one
Customer :

This is a new matter. Are you unable to deal with it?

Alex Watts : I am happy to deal with the new matter if you are kind enough to rate the previous one I answered.
Customer :

I shall look into it tomorrow. I am babysitting the grand children in 20 minutes time for the next 24 hours and just want to be clear about this point. Would a barrister be expected to know that a judge will not enter into direct correspondence over a case?

Alex Watts : You have not been satisifed with my answer previously so I am unable to cotninue at this point.
Customer :

I seem wasting my time asking questions on this site when you do not have the courtesy to answer them even though I am paying regularly by subscription for your service.

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is Tony, I am a solicitor.

I can see your previous exchange with Alex Watts. I agree with her, a Judge will not correspond with litigants in a case. All communications must be sent through the Court staff.

A solicitor and/or barrister would know this and they should not seek to correspond with the Judge.