Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

Following my divorce, I haven been served with a court order

Customer Question

Following my divorce, I haven been served with a court order stating: "The District Judge upon making the Decree Nisi ordered that the Respondent (myself) pay the costs incurred on behalf of the Petitioner in this cause to be assessed if not agreed.

I have been presented with a bill from my ex's solicitor. The first part of this is the divorce and court fees (which I am willing to pay). However, a second bill arrived for a "clean break" agreement and the solicitor has charged £800 for this.

Do the costs incurred by the petioner include the clean break? Or is that seperate and can I dispute this?

My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has a Clean Break Consent Order been made and if so what does that say about costs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Clean Break Consent Order has not yet been made. It is in the process. However, I understand that it will state that no claim will be made from either party for financial payments.

I believe my ex's solicitor is holding out on this until I pay costs.

You are correct the only costs that you have to pay are those relating to the Divorce itself - not the Financial Settlement.
You should politely return that Invoice and point out that the Costs Order relates to the Divorce alone - not the financial matters
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.