Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

my mother died last week we found a very old will in her belongings

Customer Question

my mother died last week we found a very old will in her belongings but are led to believe a new will was put in place fairly recently as neighbours witnessed it. no sign of it in the house where do we look please?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

If the neighbour witnessed the will and cannot remember who drafted it, then you have the following options:
1. Search the Custody Register at the Probate Registry http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/depositing-documents-for-safe-keeping
2. It will likely have been drafted by a solicitor so send a letter out out to all local solicitors in the area asking if they have the will www.lawsociety.org.uk will be able to tell which solicitors were in say a 5 mile radius of your mothers house;
3. Place an advert in the Law Society Gazette.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.