Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Helo. I was going to rent a property and had paid the first

Customer Question

Helo. I was going to rent a property and had paid the first quarters rent and deposit. this is worth about £1500. I am student, this was all in good faith as i thought the property will go off the market. However on reading the tenancy agreement which was sent to me after i had paid. I objected to somethings and they said they would not be able to change it. So i said i would like a refund as i felt i could not live there. The agents have still failed to refund me the money i said i am willing to forgot the admin fees, but the rest i want it back they are still to pay what should i do ?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this. you

When where you supposed to move in and when did you tell them you would not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was meant to move in n september, and it was at around that time that i told them i wouldn't be.

The agreement itself pretty much took place after i was supposed to move in.

thank you.

I need to know how much notice you gave them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Notice in terms of the move in date to when i canccelled ?

as i said the agreement was made after i was actually meant to move in. so if we are looking at it in those terms then no notice was given.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand this?

You surely didn't agree to pay for a period before you moved in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only by a few days students here are exploited in that manner. Its just the way its done

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and i will try and assist you.

I suggest you write to the agents as follows:
1. Tell them that as you were not provided with the tenancy before the deposit was paid then it is assumed the deposit and admin fees are refundable;
2. Tell them they have 7 days to return your deposit and if they do not you will:
(i) report the agency and the landlord to the University (Universities tend to keep a record of approved local landlords);
(ii) Report the agency to Trading Standards www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/‎
(iii) Issue a claim in the County Court for the return of your money https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/‎

They probably will return your money eventually and county action should be a last resort, but if you put pressure on them and complain to Trading Standards, they should eventually refund you.

AJ