29905560

hello I want to no about a website called open music archive

Customer Question

hello I want to no about a website called open music archive it says the copyright has expired so its free to download

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What exactly do you wish t know about this site?

JACUSTOMER-zin6gjm9- :

yes it says the music is in public domain is it out of copyright then

Ben Jones :

By looking at the description of the site, its owners claim that the collection of music they have gathered and hosted on their site is all of musical works that are no longer protected by copyright and as such there are no intellectual property restrictions on their use. That is certainly possible as the copyright in a piece of work is limited by law and will always expire after a certain period of time. So they have researched and collated music which is no longer subject to copyright. Whilst this is great, it is still only their claim that it is no longer covered by copyright - errors could have occurred in the collation of music and not everything that is on there could be copyright-free. This certainly does not mean that there is a guarantee any such errors have occurred but it is just something to bear in mind, the risk is rather low in any event

JACUSTOMER-zin6gjm9- :

well I downloaded 2 songs really old before 1930

Ben Jones :

the copyright of these songs would expire 70 years after the end of the year of their composer's death so it depends on when this person died

JACUSTOMER-zin6gjm9- :

yes well I seen the date they died in 1930s

Ben Jones :

So they would be out of copyright now

Ben Jones :

And can be used or distributed with no restrictions

JACUSTOMER-zin6gjm9- :

they were born in 1895 died I think its ok any songs I download I will check the dates before I download

Ben Jones :

yes that's the easiest way to check

JACUSTOMER-zin6gjm9- :

ok thanks

Ben Jones :

You are welcome, all the best