Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

Hi there. About twenty years ago I was talked into buying an

Customer Question

Hi there. About twenty years ago I was talked into buying an item for a friend on my Barclay card and claiming the item was lost, I claimed £150.00 from the insurance. I have paid the money back saying the item had been recovered. This is the only unlawful thing I have ever done. Could I still be in trouble with the police if I admitted this to them. AsI said this happened around twenty years ago. Thank you.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What happened about this at the time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have the insurance company contacted you about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No they have not. I have developed a compulsive disorder, and I feel I need to tell the police what I did, but obviously I do not want to go to prison.

It is possible that they could charge you. Its not all that likely given the nature if the offence and the fact that they don't really have any evidence beyond your confession but it is a risk that they could do this. This is insurance fraud basically which is an either way offence and so time is not an issue from the point of view of time barring. Obviously delay is bad for prosecutors for evidential reasons.

However, you will not go to prison for this. Its not that type of offence. Its a low level insurance fraud that is 20 years old. I would be surprised if they even thought a community order was appropriate.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your answer. You have been very helpful, I feel much better. Thank you.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.