Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I had my flatmate evicted for non-payment of rent. I had their

Customer Question

I had my flatmate evicted for non-payment of rent. I had their belongings removed from the premises. How do I go about getting the 3 months unpaid rent from them? Can their belongings be sold to pay the back rent? Is it illegal for their belongings to be withheld by a 3rd party due to non-payment of rent?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

You could argue that you are holding a lien over the goods until they pay but its not a good idea really. The risk is that they will just make a report of theft to the police and there is a risk they would act. Probably they would just tell you to give the items back but nobody can guarantee that. They can be very petty sometimes.

A better option is to sue here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

If the police are not interested and the flatmate seeks an injunction order forcing you to hand the goods back then you could always counterclaim for the funds owed though.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.