29905560

I am a permanent employee of the United Nations, currently

Customer Question

I am a permanent employee of the United Nations, currently stationed in West Africa.

Recently my 2nd level supervisor told me that she had heard of rumors that I was a habitual user of illegal drugs and that it was the cause of me losing a very lucrative posting in the Central African Republic (something that had caused my family and I considerable financial and emotional stress), she also mentioned that these rumors were the cause of me not receiving any promotion despite almost 20 years with the organisation I work for.

Furthermore, I have heard from another UN colleague in another organisation the very same rumor.

I wrote my concerns to her asking for a response, however, she has failed to reply.

Do you think there is anything I can do and can you give me some advice on how I can proceed.

Many thanks & regards,

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Which country's laws govern your contract of employment?

JACUSTOMER-f17emgk2- :

I don't think any do - my contract is with the United Nations. I seem to remember seeing something about UK law - but I think the UN are 'sovereign'

Ben Jones :

Hmm, determining your employment status and country of jurisdiction is a rather complex matter and not going to be part of this query so all I can advise you is that my response will be based on UK law, whether it applies to you or not

Ben Jones :

so is that ok for you?

JACUSTOMER-f17emgk2- :

I think that I'll need advice to be a bit specific. UN Staff do not have to answer to civil suits, so I would need someone who can advise me on how to persuade my UN organisation to waive that privilege in this case.

JACUSTOMER-f17emgk2- :

I think this is rather a specialist international law type of question - the simple definition of defamation and remedies I can understand.

JACUSTOMER-f17emgk2- :

Thanks for your time anyway.

JACUSTOMER-f17emgk2- :

Regards.

Ben Jones :

ok I am afraid this may not be the best place for such a query in that case you are best advised to seek legal advice in person from a solicitor who can advise on this specific matter. I will process a refund anyway so this will not cost you anything today

JACUSTOMER-f17emgk2- :

Many thanks Ben. Have a good afternoon.

Ben Jones :

And you, all the best