75100385

I am under a hire purchase agreement for a vehicle I use for

Customer Question

I am under a hire purchase agreement for a vehicle I use for personal use in the uk. I am half way through the agreement and have realised my copy of the agreement I signed has never been countersigned or dated in the box by any body who is supposed to represent the said company in the agreement. With only my signature present how do I stand legally?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did you sign the dealer or finance copy please?
JACUSTOMER-fv0u6nxe- : Yes I did.i was going to request a copy of there agreement to see if that was unsigned like mine. This was going to be my next step but how do I stand legally?
Alex Watts :

What you need to do is ask for a copy of the signed agreement under the Consumer Credit Act. You need to send a cheque for £1 for a copy.

Alex Watts :

But the reality is only the main original copy needs all signatures on it. The one handed to you is just a copy and therefore it is not required to have been signed by all parties.

Alex Watts :

But if the original has not, then it is not legally binding.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not necessary the answer you want and it is certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-fv0u6nxe- : If this is not signed on there befall where do I stand with the agreement? Also if they have a copy that they did sign will this counteract my unsigned copy?
Alex Watts :

If the original agreement is not signed then it could be void. If they hold a copy that all parties signed then it is binding.

JACUSTOMER-fv0u6nxe- : Thanks will request a copy from the finance company of there contract and go from there? Be in touch in a few days.
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/