13262538

I appealed a decision against the CSA from 2011, my ex went

Customer Question

I appealed a decision against the CSA from 2011, my ex went on sick leave for 6 months on full pay, then went on half pay for 3 months, then whilst in employment he proved he should have been on full pay, he won his case with his employers thus getting his wages back dated, my son's maintenance calculations were reduced, but the CSA and the appeals have said this money was a lump sum and cannot be taken into consideration with my son's maintenance payments, the money was paid through my ex's wages so tax and insurance would have been paid on this, and he was still in employment when it was back dated.
Again the CSA and the appeals refused my appeal stating a lump sum cannot be taken into consideration, my maintenance assessment is on old rules pre 2003.
Also the CSA have said as my ex is claiming carers allowance for his now son whom goes to mainstream school, he does not have to pay for my son is this correct? he works as well and earns £100 per week.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am unclear what lump sum he actually received - are you talking about half pay for the three months?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The CSA said he was on half pay for 30 weeks, but my ex said he was receiving half pay for 6 months then changed it to 3 months, so I am unsure, but the CSA did reduce my son's maintenance for 30 weeks as said.

How much was he earning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He was a prison officer, I think he was on £460 per week full pay, then it went down £305.67 per week

How much was the reduction in the assessment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It went from £120 to £52.69, what I wanted to know, was my son legally entitled to have his maintenance reassessed under old rules on the grounds my ex had his wages back dated, as stated this was classed as income.

To check - when you say Old rules do you mean pre 2003 0r pre 2013/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Clare, pre 2003.

It will take me a little time to research the Carers allowance point and I am away from my main computer for the the next few hours (and I am too old to use the i-pad well)- but I will get back to you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Clare.

Later then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare, have you found out about my issues with the CSA yet, or are you checking it out?

Just back at base now - will be on later and complete your answer
Sorry for the delay.
The lump sum he received was in fact arrears of income - not any other form of gratuity and as such there should be a reassessment OR the ongoing assessment (at that time) should have included that income.
This is a perfectly reasonable argument to make and worth pursuing (no guarantee of success however)
With regard to the Carers Allowance point what I suspect it refers to is that his "protected income" is more than his actual income - under the 1993 scheme there was no minimum payment set
I hope this is of use
You may also find this group helpful
www.nacsa.org.uk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

With regard the second point I am a little confused as to what you mean,

does the carers allowance rule out maintenance for my son, I don't understand "UNDER THE 1993 SCHEME THERE WAS NO MINIMUM PAYMENT SET", please could you explain this, thank you.

Under the 2003 and 2013 schemes if a non resident parent has an income but it is under £100 there is a minimum payable of £7 a week
There was no set minimum under the 1993 scheme - so if the income is below the protected amount no maintenance is payable
It is not the type of allowance that means it is not payable - it is the fact that the income is too low
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The CSA have told me it is the allowance, the carers allowance, as my ex is earning £100 per week so he can claim carers allowance, and the CSA said because he is getting carers allowance he is nil assessment, are they correct?

I think they are confusing the 1993 and the 2003 schemes (it happens) but I will check and let you know