Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

We purchased a new car ion 1/9/13 whilst in storage it was

Customer Question

We purchased a new car ion 1/9/13 whilst in storage it was covered in bird lime during the cars pdi it was damaged by excessive use of a buffing wheel a black stripe on the bonnet was damaged & had to be replaced in addition a mark on the roof due to bird lime, which the seller disputed saying it was due to leaking hydraulic oil on the car transporter which delivered the car to them. They attempted repair by respraying the cars roof & replacing the bonnet stripe. When the car was returned it was covered in scratches which appear to have been caused by a buffing wheel

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Was it new or used and did it have a warranty please?
JACUSTOMER-ftb5ae4y- : It was new 1/9/13 & has a warranty but they are making excuses to cover. The warranty is with Mini but my claim will be against the dealership Halliwell Jones at Llandudno a Junction North Wales.
Alex Watts :

What you need to go is get a number of quotes elsewhere for putting the work right - this would be your loss.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.