Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I abandoned my car in anger last night on a duel carriageway

Customer Question

I abandoned my car in anger last night on a duel carriageway and now the police have it and are looking for me. What crime have i commited and what do i have to tell them by law about my actions and whereabouts?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

To help me understand the situation better, please clarify the following:

Why exactly did you do this? Was there an accident? Anyone else involved? Were you drinking alcohol?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I clipped the kerb and just got out in a rage, i had been drinking but i still havent been to the police, i will be alcohol free when i see them

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK understood.

The likely offences are:

1. Driving without due care and attention also known as careless driving. This offence carries 3 - 9 penalty points and the possibility of disqualification.

2. Failing to stop and/or report an accident. These offences also carry points and the possibility of disqualification.

3. Leaving a vehicle in a dangerous position. This also carries points and the possibility of disqualification.

Although, from the circumstances you've outlined, a prison sentence is highly unlikely, a disqualification cannot be ruled out.

It is advisable to contact the police as soon as posible to clear the matter up. Your cooperation will go in your favour.

There is no obligation to admit the offences in an interview. But the police could request the details of the driver at the time of the incident. Failure to give this information is a criminal offence in itself.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password XXXXX you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks all sorted, i was only curious