Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My name isXXXXX a flat in Teddington,Middlesex.

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX a flat in Teddington,Middlesex. Agency running the flats are by Miss Jean Burman. We,ve had a lot of problems with the fire alarm that goes off every so often. The night to this monday it went off every half hour,we requested Jean to come over and sort this out properly asap.No shows all day,I went to sleep at 7o,clock monday evening,being tired for no sleep night before,was woken up at 9o,clock by 2 men at my bedroom door calling my name! They came for removing the alarm from my ceiling,which took about10 min,then Jean appeared in my flat,joking around. Now,I am well aware of the rules for her to enter my flat and no request of my approval was made and the fact she allowed these men into my flat and bedroom is absolutely not accepted. How do I precede ? Thanks,Ulla
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ulla,

Thanks for your enquiry and am sorry to hear what has happened, which is totally unacceptable.

It is in fact illegal for a landlord or agent to enter their property without agreement from the tenant.

A landlord does have the right to ‘reasonable’ access to carry out repairs for which they are responsible, but they still always need to ask for the tenant’s permission, and give at least 24 hours notice.

A tenant has the right to live without unnecessary interference from the landlord. Most tenants have the right to prevent the landlord from entering the premises unless they’re specifically given permission. If a landlord disregards the law and enters the property without permission, they could be prosecuted for “harassment”

The law is covered by the Protection from Eviction Act 1977.

I would therefore suggest that you let Jean know the above and tell her that if it happens again, you will have no option but to take further action against her.

I would hope with you telling her the above, it won't happen again.

I hope this assists and sincerely hope you do not get any further problems.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for the replay,but in my opinion the fact that there were two men in my flat makes it even more serius,that is every persons nightmare.

Ulla

Hi Ulla,

I fully agree with you that 2 men in a ladies Flat is a disgrace.

Sadly,in reality, it can often be difficult to prosecute a landlord for harassment.
Harrassment cases are usually handled by the local authority, not the police and you normally have to show that your Landlord has been guilty of a series of acts.
However, there is no harm in you contacting the Council if you wish to take matters further. Unfortunately, I can not say that they will be willing to prosecute her.

Kind Regards
AL

Here is a link for Richmond Council Housing-

If you wish to make a request for advice on your rented property, please use our online form or contact us directly.

Telephone: 020 8487 5123
Email: [email protected]

Hope this assists.

Good Luck
AL