75100385

I moved in with a friend. We had no tenancy agreement, just

Customer Question

I moved in with a friend. We had no tenancy agreement, just a verbal understanding that I would pay £600 plus bills per month. I soon discovered my friend had a very serious drug addiction, and began (without telling him) to look for a place to move out into). I was able to move out 4 days after paying him a months rent and bills.

Given the circumstances that led to me having to move out (fear for my own safety, his aggressive sometimes violent moodswings, and the house always being full of other guys using drugs) do I have any ground to take him to court for the money?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

How much do you want to claim?

JACUSTOMER-pj6a8u91- :

I paid him £397 for the month of November. (I overpaid the previous month which is why its not the full £600 I'm after for november) if that makes sense

Alex Watts :

Yes.

Alex Watts :

Does he have any money?

JACUSTOMER-pj6a8u91- :

He has a good job with NHS, management/HR department

JACUSTOMER-pj6a8u91- :

So yes

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

JACUSTOMER-pj6a8u91- :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/