75100385

I am a british citizen and have returned form living in Egypt

Customer Question

I am a british citizen and have returned form living in Egypt for 10 years. I am now separated, and trying to start again. Can I claim benefits - housin,g low income. I have rented a flat and have signed with a recruitment agency and have some intermittent work. I have limited funds.
many thanks Julie

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You are probably entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit yes.

Alex Watts :

But you are probably not entitled to Job Seekers as you will have not paid enough stamp whilst you have been out of the country.

Alex Watts :

But you can check what you are entitled to by going to: https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

Alex Watts :

But as you have been out of the country you have not paid into the system and therefore JSA may not be a benefit you are entitled to.

Alex Watts :

I realise this may not necessarily be the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you but I have a duty to be honest.

Alex Watts :

But try the benefit calculator above, this should make the position clear.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-ulwes9qq- :

Hi, I have had confirmation from the benefit calculator that I can claim housing benefit and low income support. I do not wish to claim Job Seekers - however actually I did pay voluntary class 2 cont. whilst abroad .

JACUSTOMER-ulwes9qq- :

My question is, will my claim be dismissed as I may now be classed as an 'immigrant' as I have been away for 10 years. I do not want to disclose my egytptian previous address if this will be detrimental to a claim. I have heard of this happening to a british citizen who returned last year. I can use my aunties address in Spain.

Alex Watts : Apologies for the delay. You are and will always be a British citizen so your claim would.
Alex Watts : Not be dismissed because of this.
Alex Watts : So you will be entitled to those benefits.
Alex Watts : Does this help?