75100385

The landlord instructed that his 5 bedroomed large Victorian

Customer Question

The landlord instructed that his 5 bedroomed large Victorian property was decorated whilst a tenant was in. As short time after it was finished the landlord gave tenant notice. The landlord is now trying to get £443 to redecorate because he says it is not in 100 pc condition. It was a four year tenancy. The tenant said to agent that the landlord should not have decorated whilst she was in. At the time she was heavily pregnant at already had 5 children and the decoration caused mass disruption as it also encompassed the school holidays. It was a 3 storey high ceiling building so the hall and stairs alone took weeks, plus 15 internal doors (keeping children off was nightmare). She was also unable to use master bedroom for well over a week as the decorator left to do another job and left it unfinished. The tenant said she should have had a reduction in rent for this period, as she did not have quiet enjoyment of the property. The agent said tough, she should have noted this prior to work commencing. The tenant had told agent front door needed painting and was expecting this to be done. The decorator came and said the outside could not be done as they had to have permission to erect scaffolding on pavement and were going to do some internal work on the instructions of owner. The agent arranged this with landlord with no discussion with tenant. She had no idea the intention was to decorate every room in the house, ceilings, walls, doors etc. It took months. No schedule was given - just the decorator saying have the room cleared for tomorrow (for example). The agent should have told the landlord that he could only enter the property for repairs and he would be in breach of his contract for cosmetic decoration. Can a complaint be put to property ombudsman regarding this matter.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Was the deposit protected please?