12826847

I do a part time job driving for a escort agency .Do i need

Customer Question

I do a part time job driving for a escort agency .Do i need hire and reward insurance. I only get paid for waiting for the escort not for travel to and from the job.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I presume the company pays you not the escort?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes i.m paid by the company

I'm sorry but its bad news.

Its not possible to tell conclusively whether or not the insurance company would say this is hire and reward without asking them but I'm afraid I think they would as you are effectively doing a private hire job.

You can ask them to consider this but obviously you must disclose the job you are doing. Each insurance company can take their own view as its their decision ultimately.

An insurance contract is what is known as “a contract of utmost good faith” where you are required to disclose the insurance company anything that may affect their attitude to risk.

I’m afraid that your contention that you only get paid for waiting is a non issue. A court would look at the purpose for which you are employed and that is to carry someone else A to B and wait in the meantime.

Such arguments have been tried for years. People have tried it to circumvent licensing laws whereby they give the beer away, but charge for the hire of the glass and therefore do not need a liquor licence. When VAT was put on hot food one tradesmen gave the chips away, but charged 2 pounds for the paper. None of that has ever worked in law and your situation is exactly the same

I am sorry if that is bad news.