How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69356
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I do a part time job driving for a escort agency .Do i need

hire and reward insurance. I... Show More
hire and reward insurance. I only get paid for waiting for the escort not for travel to and from the job.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
Jo C., Barrister
Satisfied Customers: 69356
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I presume the company pays you not the escort?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Yes i.m paid by the company

Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry but its bad news.

Its not possible to tell conclusively whether or not the insurance company would say this is hire and reward without asking them but I'm afraid I think they would as you are effectively doing a private hire job.

You can ask them to consider this but obviously you must disclose the job you are doing. Each insurance company can take their own view as its their decision ultimately.

An insurance contract is what is known as “a contract of utmost good faith” where you are required to disclose the insurance company anything that may affect their attitude to risk.

I’m afraid that your contention that you only get paid for waiting is a non issue. A court would look at the purpose for which you are employed and that is to carry someone else A to B and wait in the meantime.

Such arguments have been tried for years. People have tried it to circumvent licensing laws whereby they give the beer away, but charge for the hire of the glass and therefore do not need a liquor licence. When VAT was put on hot food one tradesmen gave the chips away, but charged 2 pounds for the paper. None of that has ever worked in law and your situation is exactly the same

I am sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice