75100385

This is a criminal law (fraud) matter : The news website

Customer Question

This is a criminal law (fraud) matter : The news website 'thesun.co.uk' has a special offer where someone can try their service for a month for 1 GBP AND receive a free 10 GBP voucher from amazon/tesco . If someone cancels before the month ends, they can receive a 10 GBP voucher without commiting themselves to further monthly payments ( a rolling contract) If someone (person A) was to set up about 2 dozen accounts with the intention of getting these vouchers (a few hundred pounds worth) could the person be guilty of fraud? I'm not sure what the law on this matter is. I've heard of 'voucher fraud' but voucher fraud concerns the fabrication and duplicaiton of existing vouchers. This simply concerns someone setting up 2 dozen accounts in his own name. No hacking of any kind involved. However, different email addresses were used. (all of which are a reference to Person A's name)

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do the terms prevent this or do they say one per person please?
JACUSTOMER-2mb5k0xd- :

The terms state one per household

JACUSTOMER-2mb5k0xd- :

Per qualifying customer only.

Alex Watts : Ok. Potentially you could be in breach of the terms and possible fraud.
JACUSTOMER-2mb5k0xd- :

However, they have spotted this and have cancelled all the vouchers due

JACUSTOMER-2mb5k0xd- :

so I haven't received them

Alex Watts : This is because fraud must cause a loss to one party and a gain to another.
Alex Watts : I see
Alex Watts : Potentially it is fraud but they are unlikely to do anything.
JACUSTOMER-2mb5k0xd- :

Ok. They told me that they would report it to managment as potentially fradulent.

Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?