75100385

I live with my parents in a flat they have rented since 1957...... The

Customer Question

I live with my parents in a flat they have rented since 1957......
The Landlord wants to rip out the original concrete injected door frame which is in pristine condition and a solid pine door with steel protected sheet, hinge bolts , deadlocks and wrought iron gate and replace them with a wooden frame and door that is fire resistant....
We paid for the "special" door and gate after the third time an attempt was made to kick-in our door.....Burglars only stopped because they were disturbed by neighbours....
I feel that not only will our security be compromised but the new door will be vastly inferior in structure and fire-resistancy.....I have been threatened with Legal action by the Landlord if we do not comply......My Mother has a lung disorder and is on an Oxygen machine daily and the unnecessary generation of brick dust will also have a negative effect on her health....she is 84 years old and unable to vacate the property whilst the work is carried out.....I cannot see any reason why this invasive work needs to be carried out???.......Where do we stand and how do I get an independent report to back us up?.....If this work is carried out, we will be many hundreds of pounds out of pocket too....HELP

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What type of tenancy agreement do they have please?

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

My father is not sure but I know we have a secure tenancy....Sorry if i'm a little vague but my father is almost 90 and looks after rental payments and associated documentation

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

I just need to know where we stand legally if our existing door and frame is adequate and where I can obtain an "expert" report re fire regs?

Alex Watts :

Can you check at all re the agreement?

Alex Watts :

Is it in the agreement he can make these changes to the property?

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

We had permission to install the gate and the front door....unfortunately we do not have the agreement re the front door as it was done some time ago

Alex Watts :

But is there a clause in the rental agreement that allows the Landlord to make these changes?

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

I believe so

Alex Watts :

But you think it will be inferior?

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

Definitely.....Both in terms of security as the Landlord is not prepared to re-fit thye gate...It is OUR RESPONSIBILITY and our door is a solid sheet of pine with hinge bolts and steel protective sheet

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

I'm sure metal frames will withstand flames better than wooden

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

Excuse my typing

Alex Watts :

Yes. What you should do is get an independent expert report on your door and if you are concerned about the new door is to then show it to the Landlord.

Alex Watts :

If the Landlord refuses to accept it then you can refuse to let him do it and he would need to seek a Court order as to the door

Alex Watts :

You would have an opportunity to defend it, show the Judge the report and let the Court decide whether the Landlord can install the door

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

The landlord has alredy mentioned an injunction

Alex Watts :

Yes, but you would be invited to attend Court

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

Who do I approach for a an independent report?

Alex Watts :

For example

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

You want me to log onto the above site

Alex Watts :

You can do

Alex Watts :

If you Google search surveyor Court expert

Alex Watts :

That should give you a list

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

Is there anything else you can do to help info wise or is this it?

Alex Watts :

Sadly not. If the agreement allows for it then the Landlord has a right.

Alex Watts :

You need to show a Judge that it is not of the same quality and would not be as good.

Alex Watts :

But that is why you need the report

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-f79eha73- :

No , that's fine

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/