tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

My daughters have just purchased a flat in London. Their next

Customer Question

My daughters have just purchased a flat in London. Their next door neighbours are tenants. These neighbours are two fairly young men who play music very loudly during the night. My eldest daughter has been in touch with their landlord who has spoken to them on several occasions, as has my daughter, all to no avail. They say they will stop playing the music at night but then seem to forget. My daughters returned to London yesterday after the Christmas break and were kept awake all night by the loud music. My daughter has today contacted the local council who are now going to keep a log and she also contacted the owner of the property again who said he had done all he could for now and they would have to wait until March when the tenancy agreement was up for review. I just wondered if there is anything else the landlord could do no as March is three months away.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is Tony, I can help with this.

tdlawyer :

Do you know whether there is a management company that oversees the estate and the collection of service charge?

JACUSTOMER-lhcz3q5d- :

Not that we aware of at the moment - we think it is being dealt with by the Estate Agents who marketed the property and they are not helpful at all.

tdlawyer :

okay, it's worth looking into this as it's often the case the case that somebody does manage the estate and they often have obligations to help in cases like this. In fact, if you get your daughters to look at the lease, it will have the name of any management company in there.

tdlawyer :

If that doesn't exist, then there are common law rights, in particular, the law of nuisance (which would be included in covenants in the lease too).

tdlawyer :

They could get injunctions within days of applying to a Court to prevent them playing loud music that amounts to a nuisance.

tdlawyer :

I see you have gone offline, if this is because I have answered your question, please do remember to rate the answer for me. If you wish to know anything more, I look forward to continuing our chat then.