chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I live on a boat. As I understand it the Landlord and tenant

I live on a boat. As I understand it the Landlord and tenant act does not apply to boats. However I have a rental licence for the mooring. Does the LLTA apply to the mooring?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 3 years ago.

chatham-chamber :

Hi, the short answer to your question is no the Landlord & tenant Act would not apply to the mooring.

chatham-chamber :

The placing and use of a mooring in principle requires the consent of the owner of the bed. In the UK the Crown owns roughly half the foreshore and almost all the seabed, through the Crown Estate Act 1961. The legal rules governing the landowner's position apply both to the Crown and to non-Crown landowners.

chatham-chamber :

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

chatham-chamber :

Many thanks,

Customer:

Sorry, I know the relationships are tricky so I need to give a little extra info. The mooring ie the planks of wood etc, are owned by the local council and operated thru a chartable trust. It has planning consent.and I pay council tax. The location is the Tidal Thames in west london. The river bed is administed/owned by the Port of london authority PLA. I also have a large on land storage space and parking space which are charged separately....obviously they dont have a bed :).If the LLTA still does not apply to the mooring, how about the store room? Thanks

Customer:

ps the store is a purpose built lock up

chatham-chamber :

Hi, it may apply to the land based storage.

chatham-chamber :

chatham-chamber :

Many thanks,

Customer:

How can I ascertain 'may' with some certainty?

chatham-chamber :

It would depend on the agreement you have in place. If this is a written agreement, then it will fall under the remit of LLTA. In fact, if there is not a written agreement, it will still be covered, although the type of agreement it becomes would be debateable

chatham-chamber :

This is all based on the assumption that the mooring agreement you have does not cover the stirage also.

chatham-chamber :

chatham-chamber :

Many thanks,

Customer:

Thanks for the headlines. Now, who should approach for detailed consideration?

chatham-chamber :

I would suggest you look for a local firm on the law society website. Here is a link: http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/