13262538

I had an arrears calculated in 2009 after a commissioners hearing

Customer Question

I had an arrears calculated in 2009 after a commissioners hearing and was given an arrears of some 26000 which I settled over 24 months along with the on going maintenance. I then found that they had only calculated to July 2000 and not 1997 as I had assumed. I was sent a letter stating the statute of limitations made the 1997 - 2000 unenforceable. I have now been told I must pay or they will collect by what ever means they see fit. Is this correct?
I was also told my child had left education in may and withheld payments, I have been told child benefit is still being paid but was told by the csa to report to the child benefit fraud dept. which I did reluctantly. The chap at the csa has done a full account breakdown and it appears by his calculation that I owe another3500 approx. Bear in mind I did fully pay the arrears and all the on going maintenance since 2009. Can they justify this or am I right in taking a stand that the arrears was calculated by them and duly settled by me and therefore no more being due.
I look forward to a clear response, many thanks.
IF
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - do you accept that there are arrears for the period 1997 - 2000?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To be perfectly honest I have always assumed the csa figures to be correct but in this instance when i was given the arrears i had assume it went back to 1997. But they insist it only went back to July 2000 so on that basis we can assume it is.

Ian

HI
Never EVER assume the CSA figures are correct - indeed assume the opposite they very very rarely get it right.
Your starting point is to get a copy of your file from the CSA under the Freedom of Information Act (£10) and trawl through it to check the information that they have used.
Using that you may be able to challenge the figures
There is a change in the law coming which will allow them to recover arrears which arose before 2000 - but it has not been rolled out yet (which does not mean it will not be tomorrow)
Details here
http://www.nacsa.co.uk/index.php/liability-orders
However do not accept the figures they give you - challenge all the way
The group behind the webpage may well be able to assist you
Please ask if you need further details