29905560

I am 100% convinced I am being harassed by a neighbor with

I am 100% convinced I am being harassed by a neighbor with what i assume must be an electronic devise (perhaps similar to ultrasonic digital devices used to target pests such as mice and spiders) - But clearly a device that's intended to adversely affect humans. What recourse do I have, considering there's no way to collect any physical evidence to prove the harassment?

PS: The reason I say I'm 100% convinced is that the harassment actually began with the neighbors repeatedly banging on the floor from the flat above mine, after I had initially complained about noise levels (really heavy footsteps) coming from their flat. I live on the ground floor, they're in the flat directly above my flat. After my repeated complaints to the landlord had failed to address the situation, I then started to respond to the harassment by banging on the ceiling in protest. Over time the situation has just gotten progressively worse and worse.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

How do you know you are actually being targeted by such devices, what have you experienced as a result?

Customer:

Effectively, I am not able to sleep at night - the effect is what I might describe as what it must feel like to be mildly tasered. It feels like being zapped with rapid, short, sharp jolts of electricity or electromgnatic radiation of some sort. this happens at a rate of anywhere from several times an hour to even several times a minute.

Customer:

I get a buzzing sensation at the base of my skulll/neck, and my arms and legs will often also spasm uncontrollably for a split second with each jolt...

Customer:

Landlord is defintely not going to be helping - especially considering as has said recently that the best solution would be for me to move. Police said could not help b/c harrassing a neighbour is not considered a crime.

Ben Jones :

Whilst I am in no position to judge whether this is true or not, I can advise that if you were to try and take the matter forward, accuse the neighbours and try to take formal action against them, you will need to provide evidence to support your claim. The effects that you have described will not be sufficient - there will be no direct link to your neighbours. Whilst I am no expert in ultrasound/electromagnetic interference and cannot advise you on how you can produce such evidence, the fact f the matter is that if you are making an allegation against someone, it would be down to you to prove that what you are claiming is true. Whether it is by measuring electromagnetic fields, or producing physical evidence that for example shows they have the equipment to do this, some evidence will be required and it is up to you to gather that.

Whilst I see you have made numerous complaints already, there is only so much these organisations can do - at present all they can do is take your word for it but that would not be sufficient for them to take formal action and they would not be in a position to provide specialist equipment to verify your claim.

Whilst not an ideal solution, if you are struggling to convey your position and to make people believe that what you are experiencing is true, the end result may be that you have to find a new place to live in. Do not see this as a defeat and that they have got the better of you in this case, it is just the sensible solution to a very difficult situation which is going to be extremely difficult to prove.

Customer:

Yes, Thank you Ben. I understand your assesment. Howver, there is the added difficulty thet I am currently not workin (lost my Job end of Cot thus year), and I have found naturally, that most letting agents or landlords are very unwilling to take on a new unemployed tenant.

So basically I feel stuck trapped even! With no one to turn to for help. I really have no close friends or family I acn rely on for help or support so I feel hopeless, helpless and trapped...

Ben Jones :

I am sorry to hear that, it is certainly not an ideal situation and I wish I can give you a solution that is guaranteed to resolve this for you but unfortunately that does not exist. You may also wish t consider taking a few steps back and trying to resolve this face to face with the neighbours, trying to go back to basics so to speak

Customer:

Considering the malicious (it has to be said) extents they are willing to go to, to continuously harrass me and cause me endless distress, day and night, I really do not think negotiating is even a remote possibility...sadly

Ben Jones :

No I thought it may be the case but just trying to cover all options really

Customer:

I really don't know now who else to turn to for help, advise, support???

Customer:

Still there, Ben? are you able to offer any other ideas/suggestions/avenues I can pursue?

Ben Jones :

Sorry my connection dropped

Customer:

So is my session over now? wasn't too sure...

Customer:

Where do I go from here...I really don't know, I am starting to feel like I don't even deserve to be alive!

Ben Jones :

I am struggling to think of anything which you have not already tried. The problem you will face with anyone you approach is backing up your claims. If you place yourself in the shoes of those people, if someone approached you and told you they are facing such issues but provides no evidence, you will find it difficult not only to believe them but to help them because you will not be able to take action against the neighbours based on just one person's word, which is not backed up by anything

Ben Jones :

Mediation can be an option but it still relies on the other party agreeing to take part and you cannot force them to

Customer:

I know my neighbors must know this, Which is precisely how they can confidently keep getting away with it.

My landlord - who has know me for more than five years, mind you - actually said to me: I must be going crazy from not being able to sleep! which to me in a way oddly seemed almost a back-handed acknowledgement that the electronic harassment has indeed been occurring...!? hmmm...

Ben Jones :

well that is all speculation which I cannot comment on but whilst it may be difficult to move on and find elsewhere to live, I am sure it is not impossible. So if this is really affecting your life to the extent you have described, perhaps it would be better to channel your time and resources at finding a place that will accept you and remove yourself from the stressful situation, rather than fight what may be a never-ending battle

Customer:

OK. thanks Ben. Guess no choice now but to keep trying (harder) to remain optimistic... and see what else I can do, if anything

Ben Jones :

it is important not to give up on this but also to be realistic about what you can do about this, I still believe rather than trying to fight what could be a rather long battle and drain your energy in that way, you should concentrate on trying to find a suitable place where you can escape this as that would be a more productive way to deal with this

Ben Jones :

I see you are trying to exit chat - has your original query been answered or do you need me to clarify anything before I close this at my end?