13262538

Over Christmas my husband and I received a letter from Social

Customer Question

Over Christmas my husband and I received a letter from Social Services regarding "potential concerns" about our children. We have spoken to them today and this seems to come from anonymous information that they received in October. We don't know what this is about and they won't tell us anything. We are professional, middle class people and whatever we do now is going to seem defensive. We need advice.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Please try not to let this frighten you too much - the calmer you can mange to stay the better
(Yes easy to say horrendous to try and do - so remember be kind to yourselves and to each other in what is going to be a very difficult time)
The first question is - does the letter tell you to seek legal advice and give a date for a meeting?
If so does it refer to S30?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There's no mention of S30 or legal advice. They've asked to come around this Friday. We've said that we need to know what this is about before we agree to anything. We've spoken to our kids and asked them if they're happy etc etc and they are just as puzzled as we are !
That is good news as this means that there is no great urgency on their part and the matter has not advanced far.
Indeed the fact that they have simply written and asked to see you rather than turning up on your doorstep is very positive (not that anything feels positive in this I do appreciate that)
The next step is hard.
You have to go against all your instincts and simply say that they are welcome to come when they want - Friday if possible (to get it over with)
Whatever the issue they want to judge your reaction to it - so you are not going to get any advance information - and the more you ask the more suspicious it looks
Equally no more questions of the children.
Whatever they present you with at the interview STAY CALM, if you recognise the incident do not try and justify it by going into details.
If you can see that there may be an issue - say so and explain why you did what you did - and ask what other options there would have been
If it did not happen say that as well - but do NOT demand details of who said what - simply say it didn't happen and leave it at that.
If there is someone you trust with EVERYTHING in your life then ask them to be present as a support - and because you will not remember everything that is said
If there isn't anyone like that (and that is understandable in this situation) have a pad a paper and take notes.
If things get too bad and you become too distressed simply ask them to leave and make another appointment
You can get help from this group
www.frg.org.uk
BUT remember to start with do NOT be confrontational it will only go against you
I will share with you that I find it difficult to stay clam with them when I am acting for clients - so I can only begin to imagine how it will be for you - so no caffeine before you meet them (and no that is not meant to be funny)
Please let me know if there is anything more I can do