Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

I wrote abooklet and passed it to Austin Macauley to see if

I wrote abooklet and passed it to Austin Macauley to see if they would publish it. they wrote a glowing letter back and said they would give it worldwide publication but I had to pay £1500 or by instalments. I now find that this is a money making ploy and any reputeable publisher would examine the work as they have done and take the risk on their own behalf. Apparentley I should not have signed the contract and sought another publisher who does take the risk. Can I now get out of the contract I signed. I have not given them any money yet as it is over the Xmas period and they are not in office until 2/1/14.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question. Can you explain exactly how you entered the contract. DId you physically sign it? Was it down by mail? when did you sign?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They sent a glossy covered contract which was pre-signed by the senior editor (Annette Longman and I signed on the same page. I sent it back on Xmas Eve complete with Computer Memory stick containing the Completed booklet.

So this was all down remotely? IF that is the case then it hold fall under the distance selling regulations and you can cancel within 7 days and they should have notified you of that right. So send a letter and/or email specifically saying you are cancelling and confirming your voicemail.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As this has occured over the Xmas period, and they have shut down for that time , how can I calculate the 7 day period?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Senior partner ran out of time
Like other experts on this site I am not on line all the time. I am a practising solicitor, I will however always respond as soon as possible.

The period is 7 Working Days starting with the day after the contract is concluded so you are well within time. you can give the notice by email but I would post a copy swell. Just make it clear you are cancelling pursuant to your rights under the distance selling regulations.