12826847

I purchased a bungalow in Co. down, Northern Ireland in 2008.

Customer Question

I purchased a bungalow in Co. down, Northern Ireland in 2008. I carried out various internal alterations. i.e. I removed a wall between 2 bedrooms to create one large master bedroom, blocked up 2 doorways and created 2 new doorways. I also Repositioned another wall between a toilet/cloakroom and bathroom to give an ensuite bathroom to the master bedroom and a shower in the toilet/ cloakroom. All necessary Planning and building control permissions are approved and passed. I want to sell up now and was at the agreed for sale stage when the prospective buyer pulled out because of a covenant in the lease. I pay £35 ground rent p.a. The covenant reads as follows, "9. Not to make or permit or suffer to be made any alteration or addition to any buildings or erections erected or being on the demised premises or substitution for same without the Lessor's previous consent in writing" I was not made aware of this by my solicitor when I purchased the property and I am told that this is standard wording in most leases and the buyer is only using this as an excuse to back out. Had I known about this covenant I too would have reconsidered purchasing said property. Should I now request retrospective permission for the internal alterations? Is this covenant a standard inclusion in ground rent leases? Do I have any cause for complaint against my solicitor if this was not brought to my attention during searches? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please cancel the question, thank you for trying.