12826847

My parents in law have recently moved close to my brother in

Customer Question

My parents in law have recently moved close to my brother in law and his wife. Their health is beginning to fade a little and sister in law is already making decisions on their behalf without consulting them. Can you direct me to any information about probate, arranging home care, how payment for nursing homes etc is taken so I can be well versed and prepared to make sure my parents in laws best interests are taken care of, should I need to help them fight their corner in the future please?
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What are your specific concerns about the actions of your Brother in Law and his wife?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare,

My sister in law has a particularly dominant personality and I am concerned at minor decisions she is already taking when they have literally just moved, to the extent of dictating who does what chores in their new home. I have no doubt she and her husband believe themselves to be acting in the best interests of my in laws but I am aware that there is a certain amount that has been done without involving them in the process (advising us not to arrange anymore technology for fear of confusing them, despite inlaws specifically asking us to arrange for new, simplified technology to allow them to do things they now find difficult is one example).
I'm concerned that if these issues are arising so soon, more may appear over the years relating to more serious concerns. I have started to confront my sister in law (tactfully), that their current approach is not the best but I believe it fell on deaf ears. My husband and I will be meeting my inlaws independently at the weekend to encourage them to be completely clear and open with all family members at all times as to what they actually want without fear of upsetting anyone. What I would like to do is to be fully armed with information about issues that may arise surrounding future healthcare, residential homes, paying for such things, what to do if they are no longer able to anage their own affairs etc so we can all sit down together and make a plan for the future that my inlaws are happy with. I know you may not be able to provide conclusive advice, but hoped you could direct me to a number of sources I can research myself.
Have they signed a Lasting Power of Attorney yet?