How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70125
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My question; my x partner and my daughter who is 18 years old

Customer Question

My question; my x partner and my daughter who is 18 years old a level student and my son is 15 years old suffers from crohns disease and she need a house with two toilets we have been separated over 4 years. my x partner is on housing benefit has been served notice by her landlord and she is not able to find affordable property to rent because she is on benefits no one is willing to rent her property. I have property rented out and i want to know if i rent her my property to her will she be able to get rent from housing benefit. As i have a large buy to let mortgage mortgage and I am on low income i cannot afford to give her rent free
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Does the house exceed her needs?

I presume you mean to rent to her alone? Does it have more bedrooms than she requires please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


sorry i did not understand the first question.

And yes she will be renting alone with the children.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Well, are there more bedrooms than she needs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
How old are the children?

How many children?

How many bedrooms?

Why can't the children share one bedroom or their mothers room ? Depending on their ages and sexes obviously.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2 children girl is 18 full time college boy is 15 and the house is 3 bedrooms

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

In principle, you can let your property to a relative who is in receipt of housing benefit. There is no law against doing that.

There is, however, a general suspicion on the part of the DWP that such contracts are set up to defraud the tax payer. That is not to say that you cannot ally their concerns but you should be aware of them.

She will have to declare her relationship with the landlord and that probably will lead to interest in this claim. Overall though, I think probably it would be allowed. There is obviously a cap on housing benefit now but you are describing a house adequate for their needs and they would have to pay for them to live elsewhere. Probably they will want a formal AST put through an agent and also a stat dec from you to the effect that this is a genuine commercial arrangement.

The big advantage that you have is that you do seem to have a pre-existing property. Obviously some people move out of their own houses and in with relatives in order to let that to other relatives and pocket the money. That is fraud and that will be their concern but thats not your position.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice