LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

my landlady lives in Russia and she doesnt want to pay for

Customer Question

my landlady lives in Russia and she doesn't want to pay for the plumber.
I have problems with water and in one week I have to come back to my country.
My friend told me that is landlord's responsability to pay for the plumber and maintein the water works.
I've been always very carefull, I keep the house clean and safe and she always said me thank you.
Now the water in the doesn't go down and if it does it's very slowly and she said it's my neglet but it's not true!
she txt me she had never have this problem with sinks and water but it's not true,in fact my neighbour told me that my landlady had alway problem with sink and mainten and she should have told me,but she didn't.
Now I'm very worried because I want my deposit back before leaving to my country,she is in Russia and If I don't pay the plumber she doens't give me back all the deposit.
I've been honest and I write her there is this problem(even if she is in Russia and I could not have told her anything!) and she replyed me in a very bad way.
I'm an hard worker and I'm very unhappy to have payd the rent and I'm not even able to take a shower!
what I have to do?I have to go to the citizens advice bureau?go to a lower?are any lower for free for this kind of problem?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a lawyer with over 15 years experience and I will help you with this. Can you tell me what the plumbing problem is and what you have asked her to do?

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

the problem is the the water goes down very slowly or doesn't go down, I ask her what I had to do and if I had to call the plumber.

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

but she doesn't want to pay the plumber

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

she lives in russia and she sayd it's my responsability,but it's her responsability to mantein the water works,

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

so I have to get in trouble to solve her problem as she is not here and i'm not even able to get a shower!

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

sorry but which is your answer??

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

I payed,why you don't reply to me?

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

my landlady lives in Russia and she doesn't want to pay for the plumber. I have problems with water and in one week I have to come back to my country. My friend told me that is landlord's responsability to pay for the plumber and maintein the water works. I've been always very carefull, I keep the house clean and safe and she always said me thank you. Now the water in the doesn't go down and if it does it's very slowly and she said it's my neglet but it's not true! she txt me she had never have this problem with sinks and water but it's not true,in fact my neighbour told me that my landlady had alway problem with sink and mainten and she should have told me,but she didn't. Now I'm very worried because I want my deposit back before leaving to my country,she is in Russia and If I don't pay the plumber she doens't give me back all the deposit. I've been honest and I write her there is this problem(even if she is in Russia and I could not have told her anything!) and she replyed me in a very bad way. I'm an hard worker and I'm very unhappy to have payd the rent and I'm not even able to take a shower! what I have to do?I have to go to the citizens advice bureau?go to a lower?are any lower for free for this kind of problem?

LondonlawyerJ :

So the problem is blocked drains in the shower and sink. It seems you are about to come to the end of your tenancy and return to Russia.

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

no!i'm italian!i go back to italy in 5 days! the landlady is in russia!!!

LondonlawyerJ :

If you have a written tenancy agreement you should look at thus to see what rights to repairs you have in the agreement.

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

i want my deposit back

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

she says that is my neglet!but is not!

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

what kind of service do you offer?? your anwer is look at your tenancy agreement???40 paund for this anwer?

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

are you a real person or a computer?

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

are you jocking?

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

can you answer me or not!

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

is not a landlord's responsability pay for the mantein of the house and waterwork?

LondonlawyerJ :

Whatever the agreement says or if you have no agreement you have rights to implied by section 8 of the landlord and tenant act 1985. This includes that tour landlady will keep in proper working order the installations in the dwelling house for the supply of water or for sanitations including basins sinks and baths.

LondonlawyerJ :

Stop being so rudevand give me time to think and type my reply to you please.

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

sorry but i'm very worried,my english is not perfect and the landlady play a game with me.i don't have any agreement

LondonlawyerJ :

ok the rights referred to above apply any way.

LondonlawyerJ :

I think you are about to end your tenancy and have therefore presumably paid your last month's rent already.

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

yes,unfortunately i had

LondonlawyerJ :

Are you in a deposit guarantee scheme with this land lady and how much is the deposit?

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

the deposit is 500£,

JACUSTOMER-jguxirnz- :

but she is in russia and i don't know how can i have my deposit back.she told to my about a friend who should come a check the flat before i leaving, and i hope this friend has the deposit cash.

LondonlawyerJ :

You are in a position where you have rights but it will be difficult to enforce them. You may be entitled to some compensation if the problem has been a round for some time and you have notified the land lady. Also she has a legal obligation to fix the plumbing problem.

LondonlawyerJ :

There is a right for you to have the repair carried out and then deduct it from the rent but this requires the obtaining of 3 quotes and allowing the landlady time to respond. Your only way forward is to negotiate with the landlady or her representative who comes to your flat using the information set out above to try and get all you deposit back. If this is unsuccessful then you will need to bring a money claim against her if you want to get back any money she has wrongly withheld. Follow this link for details. (https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview). If your tenancy was made after April 2007 your landlady was under an obligation to use a tenancy deposit protection scheme. You haven't told me if she has but I very much doubt if she has. Follow this link fro detail of your rights etc around this scheme

(https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection‎). The failure to use a TDP is likely to count against her in any proceedings you might bring for return of your deposit.

LondonlawyerJ :

I hope this has answered your question and perhaps you would like to change your rating of the service I have provided to you.