Good afternoon, I would like to ask your advice with regards

Customer Question

Good afternoon, I would like to ask your advice with regards XXXXX XXXXX a cat with aids given to me to foster for a well know Cat Rescue organisation.

I was asked to collect the cat from the local vets on 20 September 2013 to a view to fostering, as no suitable foster place within the Cat Rescue organisation was available locally and he needed to leave the vets as nothing else was wrong with him except that he need to be kept separately from other cats, so as to avoid him passing on Aids.....he was placed into my outdoor dog pen as it was secure and warm.

No paperwork was given to me and shortly afterwards heard via another fosterer that the person who had arranged for me to collect the cat from the local vets had been fired! As I was only very new to the fostering, I was not privy to the reason why.

My only contact from the organisation was the lady who brought me cat food and litter for this cat. When I expressed an interest in keeping the aids cat, she thought that it would be a good idea but would speak to the right people. At no point in time was I informed that I had to apply 'formally' to adopt the cat, I just presumed that 'someone' would contact me once he had been fully vaccinated and microchipped.

On 17 October I was asked to look after a very nervous tabby cat. One of the 'cat workers' from the Cat Rescue, dropped him off to me and then sent me an email confirming the handing over to me of this cat. Within a few days I had an email from the 'rehoming coordinator' whom I had never met, asking if I could arrange for prospective adoptees to meet the cat. All went well and he was rehomed from my house a couple of weeks later. All done correctly I presume as had never done rehoming for this organisation before only for another very large Rescue organisation.

A couple of times 2 people from the committee had tried to arrange a visit to my house to introduce themselves and to explain how everything worked within the organisation, but each they had had to cancel and never re-arranged - apparently one of them was the rehoming coordinator which would have helped me greatly and would have helped to prevent what is happening now.....

As I understood that the organisation was thrilled that I wanted to adopt the Aids Cat and had not heard that I could not, I had a beautiful home built for him in November with heating lighting and a radio, with a view that this January, I would have built an 'outdoor run' in part of our garden next to the house, to make him feel like a 'true tom cat' where he would be able to go on grass, soil, patio and be able to catch insects and watch the birds and live an almost 'normal' outside life albeit he be secured within the confines of the pen and house.

I never had any visits from the committee 'to welcome me or advise me of how everything worked as a fosterer' but this did not worry me I just kept looking after him.

Suddenly out of the blue, I received an email from the 'rehoming coordinator' saying that she understood I wanted to adopt the Aids Cat and that she would need to carry out a' home visit'...this was booked for 2 December and she brought a fosterer with her. I was told that as I was an 'unusual case' and was not going to be able to keep indoors as per the Rescue Policy, she would have to put a report into a lady in Head Office who would contact me to let me know whether I could adopt him.

In the meantime, I heard through the 'grapevine' she had been fired and had no further communication from the Rescue organisation until a call from Head Office on 23 December (3 weeks after my home visit)! requesting to make an appointment to visit me in The New Year.

This cat will have been living with me for 4 months by this time and all this is affecting my health, I do not sleep for worrying that they will be taking him away from me and he is very happy with me and I love him.

My local vets are not able to get involved but are happy to provide a letter expressing how dedicated a cat person I am and how well all my animals are looked after and that they are all insured (unless unable to be so) and fully vaccinated...........

I feel that this Rescue organisation needs to get 'its house in order' before having a go at me....I have a large number of rescue cats from different organisations so have a great deal of experience. With the way the world is at present there are so many animals out there that need their help why play politics with me!

If you have not fallen sorry but do not know who to turn to....

Please can you advise me if I can 'go down the route' of a verbal ok as a contract to adopt this cat. I will fight to keep him but would rather do it 'with dignity'

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Yes sadly everything must be online.
Alex Watts : Did you sign a contract with the centre?
Alex Watts : Have they said if they intend to take the pet back or this is just an appointment please?