I was made a job offer in November 2013 and given a start date

Customer Question

I was made a job offer in November 2013 and given a start date of 9 December 2013. After working out my notice in my current job, I was advised on the Friday before my Monday start that the offer was being withdrawn as a result of unsatisfactory references. I was astounded and spoke to my 2 referees who both assured me they had given me good references. I then found out that my new Manager in my current role who had been in post for 1 month and whom demonstrated within that short period a certain dislike to me had taken the liberty of contacting my new employers HR department to denigrate me. I also established that my boss had been previously employed by my new company. It appears that her unsolicited intervention cost me my new job despite the fact that she was not one of my original referees. I had a miserable Christmas and all my plans were thwarted when the offer was rescinded. My new role was £8,000 p.a more than my current earnings. Although I am now temping I feel the need to explore whether I have any legal redress against my old boss (of 1 month) who was not one of my original referees but appears to have used her past association with my new company to completely denigrate my reputation.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am happy to wait for the right advice.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

You could sue for breach of contract. But you would only be entitled to notice pay as per your contract or one weeks pay. But you would not be entitled to any more.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy. If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court. The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?