12826847

An acquaintance says he saw me in a car touching another man

Customer Question

An acquaintance says he saw me in a car touching another man inappropriately. He has asked for money to stay quiet. What can i do?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there any truth in it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i had my hand in his lap.
Is there any reason you would not want that made public?

You are not doing anything unlawful ? He was old enough to consent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we were doing nothing legal but we are married. We have been mates for years and are tactile. I am frightened because wife and family would be scandalized and the no smoke without fire syndrome.
I see.

Well, this is blackmail. Demanding money not to reveal this is blackmail contrary to S21 Theft Act 1968. You can report it to the police and they will act.

If he is convicted then he will need to bring his toothbrush to court for the sentencing hearing. People get nasty sentences for blackmail even when the blackmail relates to a legitimate debt and this does not.

Obviously that does not stop him revealing this. In fairness, it tends to have that effect. Blackmailers do not often reveal the information when they are being investigated themselves. The problem is that if there is to be a trial there is a risk that your wife will find out about it.

Overall though, the choices are that you either face this head on and report it or you do not and risk further blackmail. Another option is to tell him that you have nothing to hide and he should reveal this information and tell your wife about it. Blackmailers are only successful because people don't want the information to come to light. People like that prey upon fear and if you don't show fear he will lose interest in you.

However, the police will be delighted to hear from you. It make a nice change from the usual twaddle that childish people with no self reliance ask them to deal with. This will be one of the few genuine reports of this nature that they will have had in a very long time.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.