How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70124
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Had a car accident 19 Jan 2011 last year was contacted by solicitors

Customer Question

Had a car accident 19 Jan 2011 last year was contacted by solicitors saying i could put a claim in for personal injury for me and my daughter. Had to see a doctor who in turn did a report. Since this happened my daughter has received her compensation but mine was delayed because of confusion with my medical report. This was resolved and early November i received a phone call from my solicitor saying i would receive 3899.99. A few days later received a letter stating the claim as been settled and in 45 working days i would receive the cheque for this amount. On thursday 2 Jan received a phone from solicitors to say i have been awarded 2000.00 pounds. This is what i am complaining about as i have it in black and white that i had been awarded the 3899.99 and signed by my soliciter and need to know where i stand legally. Thank you for your attension.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am i legally entitled to the amount stated in the signed letter from solicitor and verbally to about this amount. If i am legally entitled how do i go about claiming this money.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

You queried the discrepancy with them?

What did they say?

Did you accept a higher offer?

Have you accepted the lower offer?

You have not had the cheque for £2k?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was told the claim hadbeen settled at 3899.99 and confirmed by letter. The solicitors contacted me 2 jan to say i had been awarded 2000.00 pound. I told them i had received a letter confirming i had been awarded the higher amount. Manager of the solicitores phoned me 3 jan to say my acting solicitor was on sick and theletter had been sent in error. My solicitor would be back in work next week and so i need to know where i stand.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

There is actually more to this than the difference between the two amounts.

They cannot settle the claim unless you agree. They should have written to you with the offer and explained whether it is reasonable.

It is for you to choose to accept it but they must give you the choice and advise you the ramifications of not doing so.

They cannot simply come along and say that they have settled it without your consent regardless of the amount.

If they have done then you can complain.

There is then the issue of the two differing amounts.

What they should have done is told you that there is an offer of £3899 and ask you whether you wanted to accept it.

Presuming they did and you agreed, they should have put the £2k offer to you as well. If you refused to accept that then they should have gone back to the insurance company.

If they have made a mistake you have cause for complaint to make to the complaints partner. I would do that in writing.

If you are not happy with the reply from the complaints partner, then tell him that you will refer the matter to the Solicitors Regulation Authority to have them decide on the matter.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice