12826847

my husband is £50,000 in debt on his credit card in his name,

Customer Question

my husband is £50,000 in debt on his credit card in his name, and we have to sell the house, which is in both our names. Am I responsible for half the debt?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you selling the house to pay the debt or because you are separating?

Was the credit card for household expenses or solely for his use?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both, to pay the debt and because we are separating. I think he borrowed the money because he could not make ends meet with bills and maybe personal use, this information so far has been kept from me. But is being dealt with through a government debt scheme, I am just being told what is going to happen weather I like it or not.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK, this is more Family Law so I will opt out and to let a suitably qualified lawyer to assist you.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Who lives there at present?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The mortgage is an interest only mortgage, the house is worth about £300000, my husband and myself live there. As I have said I have not seen any paperwork which is why I do not know where to turn.

HI
How much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Are you not able to discuss matters with your ex?
How long have you lived together and how much does a one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?