Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

My mum is in a 24/7 care home since an year now my brother

Customer Question

My mum is in a 24/7 care home since an year now my brother is at home on permanent sick benefit is it true we don't loose our house. she is in a single room and costs 400 weekly. My sister has pushed me out of family and don't know my mums solicitors name she has taken my mums finances over and I'm at a loss knowing properly if this is right as mum had ISAS too. I heard a resident talking saying that I am out of equation where family is concerned and there's no money anymore and whatever will be left my brother whose at home will get what ever is left. My brother is divorced twice and has not worked since 35 years and has been very cruel to myself and mum the last few years making it hard for me the year prior to go over as was extremly abuseive to mum as was jealous of mum seeing me and myself working self employed and quite ill myself i have a rare problem of bilobular cysts on liver and are growing all a cm every year. so the strain was making me so afraid the way he was with mum and me. She fell in hospital and had to go into 24/7 care my sister never did as much as I did for mum but they all had quite of disputes in family. year before my youngest brother opened mum's will too. Nobody is doing with me. My mum had asked me whilst in hospital to get a solicitor on my sister? but I didn't as can't with myself being ill. Where do I stand how do I find out whose my mum's solicitor please and I don't think it is true that my families money has gone anywhere as Victor lives there in Caeathro N Wales. Numerous times I rang the police to ask to sort Victor so I could see mum was upsetting. They suggested socoal services but my sister whose execetor said we don' need to. But she has been extremly awful the way she has behaved towards myself and feel she is untrustworthy.  Mum hasn a will which has beendone through a solicitor by dad. which she says over the years that when dad died the will was changed to that who ever lives in the house after mum dies that they can stay there for two years and then sell and divide proceedings with the four children.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes please :) x

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What I meant I apologise I wish to wait for a reply. Thankyou x

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi you seem to be asking tow different questions. If there is equity in odour mothers house then yes the local authority can ultimately require that the benefit is of the house is used to pay of those costs if she has no savings to do so. it is ultimately at the moment a decision for the local authority and they can ignore the value of the house if for example your brother is over 60 and lives there.

I am not clear about what you are asking about wills. If your mother has a will then it apply unless she revokes it or writes another one. IF she wants to do another one and is capable of it then you can get any local solicitor who offers will service to do it. It does not have to be the one your father used.

LEt me know what else you wish to know.