75100385

if a cooker hood fuses and ceases to operate is it the tenants

Customer Question

if a cooker hood fuses and ceases to operate is it the tenants responsibility to dismantle the unit from the wall in order to change the fuse in circumstances where the builder has built the unit in but has not provided a separate fuse spur?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you think it would be please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it would seem to me that the tenant has the obligation to repair a broken fuse but only in circumstances where the fuse is available and not hidden behind a built in kitchen cooker hood construction

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

equally i called Landlord on 3 occasions to check RCD which kept tripping following new fuse box being installer-they say it was your third false alarm for “faulty” electrics and thus for my charge which doesnt seem right?

I'm sorry again if I'm missing the point but why should any of this be down to the tenant?

I presume that the tenant does not own the cooker?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the Landlord has sent me a bill for sending electrician to deal with repair to the fuse of the cooker hood and also to attend to the problem of fuse board tripping which they call a false alarm on my my part

i need a robust letter telling them that unequivocally,under law,these are expenses that should be borne by a landlord rather than a tenant.

I do not own any of the appliances referred to

thank you

Are you asking me to write to them? If so, I'm afraid I cannot do that. This is a question and answer site. I can give you information upon your circumstances but cannot take action for you.

Also though, doesn't this really come down to whether your report was a false alarm or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i dont want you to write to them

i want you to send me an opinion which i can forward to them as 'having obtained legal advice'

the issue of the RCD tripping in the fuse box seems clear to me-If the fuse trips and i then push it back up and it trips again i have a reasonable sense that all is not well and that an electrician should explore. The fact that the electrician,who incidentally was the one who installed the new fuse board,was unable to replicate the conditions does not mean that my call outs were a f'alse alarm' and thus down to me to pay?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when might i expect response please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it quite usual for such a small matter to take so long to get a legal opinion?

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

I see the expert has opted out - do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i have paid for help and still require same

many thanks

If the fuse is 'user changeable' such as it is when it is on a plug, then yes the tenant can do that and would be expected to do so.

If the fix requires some sort of DIY or electrical knowledge then no, the tenant should not be expected to do this and it would fall to the responsibility of the Landlord.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

equally i called Landlord on 3 occasions to check RCD which kept tripping following new fuse box being installer-they say it was third false alarm for “faulty” electrics and thus for my charge which doesnt seem right?

the issue of the RCD tripping in the fuse box seems clear to me-If the fuse trips and i then push it back up and it trips again i have a reasonable sense that all is not well and that an electrician should explore. The fact that the electrician,who incidentally was the one who installed the new fuse board,was unable to replicate the conditions does not mean that my call outs were a 'false alarm' and thus down to me to pay?

No - its not your fault. You could simply get someone out to fix it and the landlord would have to pay.