my father paid for a television online back in August 2013

Customer Question

my father paid for a television online back in August 2013 they took the money, but he never received and while waiting unfortunately he died on the 30th August. Tried getting a refund back for the item told have to wait 45 days, his bank account has been closed how can the money be repaid?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How much did your father pay for the television please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How did he pay for this?

If it was by card, was a credit card or debit card?

Are they offering to repay the money into the bank account, but will only pay it into the account which it came from and that account has been closed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He paid by debit card. I have spoken with my son since and he told me that they said they would be paying the money back into the PayPal account and it would take 45 days

Sorry but if he paid by debit card why are they refunding his PayPal account?

Do you mean he paid by PayPal which came from his debit card account?

Was this an eBay purchase?

Is the PayPal account still open?

Are you saying that they said they would refund within 45 days, but simply have not done?

I need to know exactly what the problem is, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My father paid for the television using his Barclays Debit card, and when my son explained to I-Store Online that my father had died whilst waiting for his television to be delivered for over 3 months; that he would like my Father to be refunded. I Store replied that they would transfer the money back into his bank account, but my son explained to them that the Solicitor dealing with his will had closed his account; that it would not be possible to do that.

I-Store Online said that they could only refund my Father's money to his account, and no one else's; instead, they left it in his online customer account with themselves. My son then transferred it to my Father's PayPal account, which was the only option that he could pick from what was given; when he had done this it stated 45 working days for it go into his PayPal account.

My son did this early November, so not all of the 45 working days have been yet.

I would like to know if this is paid back into my father's PayPal account, do I have to notify his Solicitor of this transaction?

If the television was not received then it is possible for the executors to ask the bank to chargeback the merchant in respect of the cost of the goods.

The reason the bank are not doing that is because the money has to go somewhere and because the account has now been closed there is nowhere for it to go to.

Their computer systems will not cope with a manual transaction.

Similarly, the merchant can only refund to the account that the money came from.

I cannot see how your son can transfer anything into your father's PayPal account.

This should be relatively easy to resolve. The solicitor writes to the company and asks for the refund on behalf of the executors of the estate. There is no reason why the company should not refund the solicitor directly. If probate is sought then they may want to see the grant of probate.