75100385

I wished to up grade my kitchen by fitting new doors a builder

Customer Question

I wished to up grade my kitchen by fitting new doors a builder agreed to fit these new doors the doors arrived but were a the incorrect size our existing units were over ten years old a representative of the manufactures came to see about the complaint and told us they did not make the door size anymore but did not explain this at the time of order he then went on to say they would supply anything required to put the matter right free of charge and would compensate for the extra time the fitter needed. How ever in spite of the best efforts of the fitter the job is not as it should be, and the fitter says it has taken three days longer to complete the work.Their offer is insulting have I any rights?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you had a second opinion please?

I am told you can not see our chat?

Have you had a second opinion please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we have had a second opinion and he agrees we should have been informed at the time of order that some units could not be made to fit correctly

How much are you wishing to claim please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£500 to cover extra days work by the builder

Yes I would agree. Had it not been for the problems the builder caused then you would not be in this situation.

You should write and refuse to pay these additional costs as the builder is in breach of Section 13 of the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 as he has failed to act with all reasonable skill and care.

If you have not paid then you have the upper hand,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So are we correct in thinking it is the builder who is responsible not the supplier even though their rep. saw the proposed refurbishment before work commenced and assured us and the builder that they could supply everything to insure that the work could be completed to a high standard

It is who you paid to come and do the work.

If you purchased off the builder then it is him even though he may have brought the units from someone else. If you paid a retailer and they employed the builder, then ti is the retailers fault.

Can I clarify anything?