12826847

How would we go about setting up legal trusteeship at a church?

Customer Question

How would we go about setting up legal trusteeship at a church? (based in East London [email protected]
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

What is the purpose of the trust? Is it to manage property or the charitable proceeds of the church?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you AJ. The answer to your question comes as a further two fold question. Firstly, We are a forty year old church (place of religion) based in the UK. London East, with a sister branch based in North West London. We had Trustees for this church established since 1972. Since that time all but one of our trustees have passed away. We have recently appointed new Trustees and want to make these new appointments legally official. Secondly, we have been recently told by the Charities Commission that we need to register with them as a charity. We meet charity commission criteria but need to know how this affects trustee legalities since the trustees yet to be appointed for the charity may not be the same trustees already appointed by church leadership who plan and approve church formalities. Our question is can we have two separate boards of trustees? One for Church issues and the other for Charity issues. and secondly What is the right and legal way forward?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for providing these details.

I am going to opt out and allow one of my colleagues with Charities expertise to continue with this question.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am beginning to think "just answer" is unable to "just answer". If this is the case I have no choice but to take my business elsewhere. I take it you will refund the £33.00 to my account?

Thank you Nicola

Venice.