75100385

Business Law I have had a recent experience with a supplier The

Customer Question

Business Law
I have had a recent experience with a supplier
The supplier is a Central Station who monitor Intruder alarms for me.

The supplier decided before christmas to terminate their contract with me (we are not in any debt to them though have had a difficult time with their finance director in the past)
The supplier sent us a letter "quoting a discussion with their local rep which never occurred) terminating the contract within 3 weeks not the 3 months as per their t's and c's

The supplier also sent my customers letters saying they were terminating their contract with me to my customers - this letter implied that their central station monitoring would be cancelled on December 30th (which would not give due time to get a replacement service)

I first found out about this issue when a customer called me quite distressed asking what was going on.

I spent 2 days where I should have been earning trying to resolve this issue - the supplier did send a retraction letter to the customers at my request which arrived 2-3 days later.

The letter stated that there was still an ongoing relationship between us and them and that they had made a mistake.

The supplier has now sent a further letter terminating the contract with us in a propper time scale.

Am I entitled to claim damages for loss of business (I had to work a weekend before christmas to make up for the lost time)
I also now need to change the central station ASAP as the credibility of the supplier has in my mind and in some customers been seriously damaged. This will cost me approx £50 per customer for a new connection as well as the time to visit eash site to make changes to the alarms,
I have lost face with the customers who I feel should be due compensation for the stress caused (this I feel would be approx 50% of their annual bill) can i make a claim for this?

My companies reputation has been tarnished. There was no need for ANY customers to receive a letter as if the 3 month letter had been sent I could have far more seamlessly changed to a new supplier without any damage to my company.

I feel that my damage per site is approx £200-300 as well as damages to reputation which I am sure has some worth.

I sent a letter to the MD of the company suggesting compentation in the order of £5000 was due.

The MD replied saying that in their opinion that although they had made a mistake I would be changing suppliers anyway and that they feel no compensation at all was due.

I run a small businesss with 2 employees so the impact of this workload will be quite high to swap these customers out which I feel I have no option but to do within 2 weeks

Is it worth making a small court claim? if so what can I claim for?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

When you say loss of business how was this caused please?

JACUSTOMER-wgu73wth- :

Hi Alex,

JACUSTOMER-wgu73wth- :

oops LoL

JACUSTOMER-wgu73wth- :

Loss of business - the company is a limited company, once the screw up had come to my attention i was on the phone for quite some time trying to find ouit what had happened, i had to put a job the next day back which meant i had to work over the weekend to do that job. the pure admin and to be blunt stress caused by this took at least 3 days to catch up with - I do some subcontract work for a larger company and was called into the customers offices to explain what was going on as they were not impressed that their customer received a letter.... One customer used the words "if they are the people who monitor my alarm and they can make an error like this I dont want them monitoring my alarm 1 a fair comment i feel? Another recipient of the letter was a company MD who has nothing to do with the bills for the alarm as we work for the landlord - he has a relative in the security business and has been spreading chineese whispers as a result of getting the letter... the damages this has caused to my reputation is significant though quite untangable on paper

Alex Watts :

How much do you say your loss is please?